- Increase the screening rate of children in New Jersey that receive blood lead screening at ages 1 and 2 years.
- Increase screening rates in New Jersey to reflect New Jersey’s mandated universal screening rule.
- Developed and implemented a tier system to recognize the top screening pediatricians in New Jersey
- Identified the top three screening pediatricians in each county
- Provided certificates of recognition for pediatricians based on the tier criteria
- Provided acknowledgement on Twitter and Facebook of the tier winners (by the Commissioner of Health)
Education, Training, and Outreach
- Conducted a data match with pediatricians regarding screening rates
- Developed and distributed a physician anticipatory guidance mailing, or “Lead Lammies,” for 10,000 pediatricians in New Jersey.
- Provided outreach to 800 pediatricians who were shown to have low screening rates, as directed by the New Jersey universal screening rule for lead.
- Provided educational outreach on lead poisoning prevention and oral health to community health workers and perinatal care coalitions.
- Visited all schools and child care centers and disseminated lead prevention and lead screening educational materials.
- Developed a webinar on lead prevention and screening for school nurses.
- Presented on lead screening at the 2019 New Jersey Population Health Summit; New Jersey Environmental Health Association Annual Conference; and the New Jersey Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics Annual Conference.
- Shared information on evidence-based environmental assessment tools with the community.
- #kNOwLEAD poster in English, Spanish, Portuguese, and Hindi
- #kNOwLEAD nutrition poster in English and Spanish
- New Jersey Office of Local Public Health: Enforcing Laws for Lead Health (National Environmental Health Association MCEH CoIIN Success Story)
Click here to view the full change package of strategies and actions that New Jersey used as they worked to achieve their aims as part of the Maternal and Child Environmental Health Collaborative Improvement and Innovation Network.